Please take a look at Articles on self-defense/conflict/violence for introductions to the references found in the bibliography page.

Please take a look at my bibliography if you do not see a proper reference to a post.

Please take a look at my Notable Quotes

Hey, Attention on Deck!

Hey, NOTHING here is PERSONAL, get over it - Teach Me and I will Learn!


When you begin to feel like you are a tough guy, a warrior, a master of the martial arts or that you have lived a tough life, just take a moment and get some perspective with the following:


I've stopped knives that were coming to disembowel me

I've clawed for my gun while bullets ripped past me

I've dodged as someone tried to put an ax in my skull

I've fought screaming steel and left rubber on the road to avoid death

I've clawed broken glass out of my body after their opening attack failed

I've spit blood and body parts and broke strangle holds before gouging eyes

I've charged into fires, fought through blizzards and run from tornados

I've survived being hunted by gangs, killers and contract killers

The streets were my home, I hunted in the night and was hunted in turn


Please don't brag to me that you're a survivor because someone hit you. And don't tell me how 'tough' you are because of your training. As much as I've been through I know people who have survived much, much worse. - Marc MacYoung

WARNING, CAVEAT AND NOTE

The postings on this blog are my interpretation of readings, studies and experiences therefore errors and omissions are mine and mine alone. The content surrounding the extracts of books, see bibliography on this blog site, are also mine and mine alone therefore errors and omissions are also mine and mine alone and therefore why I highly recommended one read, study, research and fact find the material for clarity. My effort here is self-clarity toward a fuller understanding of the subject matter. See the bibliography for information on the books. Please make note that this article/post is my personal analysis of the subject and the information used was chosen or picked by me. It is not an analysis piece because it lacks complete and comprehensive research, it was not adequately and completely investigated and it is not balanced, i.e., it is my personal view without the views of others including subject experts, etc. Look at this as “Infotainment rather then expert research.” This is an opinion/editorial article/post meant to persuade the reader to think, decide and accept or reject my premise. It is an attempt to cause change or reinforce attitudes, beliefs and values as they apply to martial arts and/or self-defense. It is merely a commentary on the subject in the particular article presented.


Note: I will endevor to provide a bibliography and italicize any direct quotes from the materials I use for this blog. If there are mistakes, errors, and/or omissions, I take full responsibility for them as they are mine and mine alone. If you find any mistakes, errors, and/or omissions please comment and let me know along with the correct information and/or sources.



“What you are reading right now is a blog. It’s written and posted by me, because I want to. I get no financial remuneration for writing it. I don’t have to meet anyone’s criteria in order to post it. Not only I don’t have an employer or publisher, but I’m not even constrained by having to please an audience. If people won’t like it, they won’t read it, but I won’t lose anything by it. Provided I don’t break any laws (libel, incitement to violence, etc.), I can post whatever I want. This means that I can write openly and honestly, however controversial my opinions may be. It also means that I could write total bullshit; there is no quality control. I could be biased. I could be insane. I could be trolling. … not all sources are equivalent, and all sources have their pros and cons. These needs to be taken into account when evaluating information, and all information should be evaluated. - God’s Bastard, Sourcing Sources (this applies to this and other blogs by me as well; if you follow the idea's, advice or information you are on your own, don't come crying to me, it is all on you do do the work to make sure it works for you!)



“You should prepare yourself to dedicate at least five or six years to your training and practice to understand the philosophy and physiokinetics of martial arts and karate so that you can understand the true spirit of everything and dedicate your mind, body and spirit to the discipline of the art.” - cejames (note: you are on your own, make sure you get expert hands-on guidance in all things martial and self-defense)



“All I say is by way of discourse, and nothing by way of advice. I should not speak so boldly if it were my due to be believed.” - Montaigne


I am not a leading authority on any one discipline that I write about and teach, it is my hope and wish that with all the subjects I have studied it provides me an advantage point that I offer in as clear and cohesive writings as possible in introducing the matters in my materials. I hope to serve as one who inspires direction in the practitioner so they can go on to discover greater teachers and professionals that will build on this fundamental foundation. Find the authorities and synthesize a wholehearted and holistic concept, perception and belief that will not drive your practices but rather inspire them to evolve, grow and prosper. My efforts are born of those who are more experienced and knowledgable than I. I hope you find that path! See the bibliography I provide for an initial list of experts, professionals and masters of the subjects.

Sanchin Dynamic Tensioning: Karada Kitae: Iron Body Training

Blog Article/Post Caveat (Read First Please: Click the Link)

Iron body training, what is it purpose and relevance in self-defense, combat and fighting? Is it a practice with the agenda of egoistic impressionists goals or is it actually effective in protecting out bodies against the physical violence in conflict? Are these practices more about entertainment and confidence and testing the limits of human physical and mental endurance? 

Physics of the Universe rule. We as humans can do things to enhance those physics to stretch  them a small distance but physics are physics. The real question is this, “When using a dynamic tensioning of the body along with other body-like armor aspects does such conditioning actually work? 

The answers are both yes and no, in other words it depends. When you understand the striking arts you understand that they were meant to be a socially driven communications skill where appropriate violence to establish certain hierarchal rules for survival are involved rather then grave bodily harm or death as would be a goal of combat. 

A question I find necessary to answer all of these questions and the many more that will arise as others chime in on the subject is, “Can you make use of the results of body conditioning, i.e., iron body sanchin dynamic tensioning, in the chaos of a hand-to-hand combat or the monkey dance of social mutual fighting or the predatory process or resource attack requiring self-defense. 

Lets focus on the most critical form, i.e., the predatory process or resource attack requiring self-defense. This is something we cannot predict and if it is enacted against us it means we are in a state where the predator has a high probability of success in his attack. It can involve total and complete surprise so to achieve a dynamic body tension of the iron body sanchin condition cannot be triggered unless the victim has trained appropriately to make that type of trigger one coming from the, “Unconscious learning to encode procedural memory as a type of implicit memory so that the encoded knowledge of triggering dynamic protective tension as executed by the stimulus of a physical attack, etc. Will our brains trigger procedural memory and is that trigger associated with the type of surprise, damage, balance disruption and a total loss of structure, i.e., structure by the way is necessary to achieve good dynamic tension in that instance. etc.

In a nutshell I would venture to guess that the possibility, as a rare ability, will be possibly be a 1 chance out of 100 it will be successful while the other 99 mean no success even with luck. The odds seem daunting so back to what is the real reason and benefit of Iron Body Training of karada-kitae of karate?

Please note that most of the body conditioning is to condition the natural protective aspects of our bodies as it is best suited for a direct attack, a social attack model for social monkey dancing where grave bodily harm or death are not on the table except as it might apply toward accidents. If one simply changes the dynamics of the physics involved even the hardest body conditioning can be overcome. If one trains using the appropriate multiple methodologies along with the underlying and supporting fundamental principles such body hardening can be bypassed. 

In truth, if one has a strong body and understands that the probability they will encounter a predator with this kind of knowledge and skill is very small their efforts in body hardening will actually be of benefit and will be available as long as the realty based training also exists. 

So, lets accept that body conditioning toward the proverbial iron body state is beneficial in creating the body armor necessary to mitigate effects from force and power of an attacker. Then we have to ask ourselves, “What degree of conditioning is adequate to achieve this goal?” In my short time and experience I have practiced such body conditioning and observed others do the same but sometimes to what I would believe as, “Extreme.” 

A good example is the one where Gung Fu professionals put on a demo where one proponent stands on his head, does a leg split exposing his sensitive area to another proponent with a large, long, round piece of wood. The second then strikes with the wood to the others, “wood,” breaking the round piece of wood. The one being struck then rises up to stand, bow and walk off with no signs of injury, etc. Is this extreme and more of a demo “Performance” rather than a necessary achievement in body hardening? In the end it is a personal question each who undergoes body hardening must ask of themselves. 

In my case, extremes were not practiced and the limits I set on myself were adequate wherein injuries were avoided, mostly, and the long term repercussions as I continue aging in my winter years are not present and problematic. Take heed and decide for yourself because it may or may not be beneficial in self-defense. As a challenge and a test of endurance, etc., it can be a great teacher but still you must know when to stop or limit yourself for the price in the end may be pretty darn high.

We won’t even go into the subject of proper training methods, models and applications, that is a whole new obstacle in and of itself.

Bibliography (Click the link)


I am still cringing at just the thought that someone may have actually done this (I still remain skeptical when I see such photo's). 


No comments: