Please take a look at Articles on self-defense/conflict/violence for introductions to the references found in the bibliography page.

Please take a look at my bibliography if you do not see a proper reference to a post.

Please take a look at my Notable Quotes

Hey, Attention on Deck!

Hey, NOTHING here is PERSONAL, get over it - Teach Me and I will Learn!


When you begin to feel like you are a tough guy, a warrior, a master of the martial arts or that you have lived a tough life, just take a moment and get some perspective with the following:


I've stopped knives that were coming to disembowel me

I've clawed for my gun while bullets ripped past me

I've dodged as someone tried to put an ax in my skull

I've fought screaming steel and left rubber on the road to avoid death

I've clawed broken glass out of my body after their opening attack failed

I've spit blood and body parts and broke strangle holds before gouging eyes

I've charged into fires, fought through blizzards and run from tornados

I've survived being hunted by gangs, killers and contract killers

The streets were my home, I hunted in the night and was hunted in turn


Please don't brag to me that you're a survivor because someone hit you. And don't tell me how 'tough' you are because of your training. As much as I've been through I know people who have survived much, much worse. - Marc MacYoung

WARNING, CAVEAT AND NOTE

The postings on this blog are my interpretation of readings, studies and experiences therefore errors and omissions are mine and mine alone. The content surrounding the extracts of books, see bibliography on this blog site, are also mine and mine alone therefore errors and omissions are also mine and mine alone and therefore why I highly recommended one read, study, research and fact find the material for clarity. My effort here is self-clarity toward a fuller understanding of the subject matter. See the bibliography for information on the books. Please make note that this article/post is my personal analysis of the subject and the information used was chosen or picked by me. It is not an analysis piece because it lacks complete and comprehensive research, it was not adequately and completely investigated and it is not balanced, i.e., it is my personal view without the views of others including subject experts, etc. Look at this as “Infotainment rather then expert research.” This is an opinion/editorial article/post meant to persuade the reader to think, decide and accept or reject my premise. It is an attempt to cause change or reinforce attitudes, beliefs and values as they apply to martial arts and/or self-defense. It is merely a commentary on the subject in the particular article presented.


Note: I will endevor to provide a bibliography and italicize any direct quotes from the materials I use for this blog. If there are mistakes, errors, and/or omissions, I take full responsibility for them as they are mine and mine alone. If you find any mistakes, errors, and/or omissions please comment and let me know along with the correct information and/or sources.



“What you are reading right now is a blog. It’s written and posted by me, because I want to. I get no financial remuneration for writing it. I don’t have to meet anyone’s criteria in order to post it. Not only I don’t have an employer or publisher, but I’m not even constrained by having to please an audience. If people won’t like it, they won’t read it, but I won’t lose anything by it. Provided I don’t break any laws (libel, incitement to violence, etc.), I can post whatever I want. This means that I can write openly and honestly, however controversial my opinions may be. It also means that I could write total bullshit; there is no quality control. I could be biased. I could be insane. I could be trolling. … not all sources are equivalent, and all sources have their pros and cons. These needs to be taken into account when evaluating information, and all information should be evaluated.” - God’s Bastard, Sourcing Sources (this applies to this and other blogs by me as well; if you follow the idea's, advice or information you are on your own, don't come crying to me, it is all on you do do the work to make sure it works for you!)



“You should prepare yourself to dedicate at least five or six years to your training and practice to understand the philosophy and physiokinetics of martial arts and karate so that you can understand the true spirit of everything and dedicate your mind, body and spirit to the discipline of the art.” - cejames (note: you are on your own, make sure you get expert hands-on guidance in all things martial and self-defense)



“All I say is by way of discourse, and nothing by way of advice. I should not speak so boldly if it were my due to be believed.” - Montaigne


I am not a leading authority on any one discipline that I write about and teach, it is my hope and wish that with all the subjects I have studied it provides me an advantage point that I offer in as clear and cohesive writings as possible in introducing the matters in my materials. I hope to serve as one who inspires direction in the practitioner so they can go on to discover greater teachers and professionals that will build on this fundamental foundation. Find the authorities and synthesize a wholehearted and holistic concept, perception and belief that will not drive your practices but rather inspire them to evolve, grow and prosper. My efforts are born of those who are more experienced and knowledgable than I. I hope you find that path! See the bibliography I provide for an initial list of experts, professionals and masters of the subjects.

OT -- Hearing Loss and the Extra Time the Brain Needs

by CEJames (researcher/author) & Akira Ichinose (editor/research assistant)


Why a reply may take longer

If you live with hearing loss, you may recognize this experience: someone asks a question, you pause, and the person assumes you were not paying attention. Meanwhile, you are working through what you heard. You may have caught the voice clearly enough to know someone spoke, but not clearly enough to understand every word.


Hearing loss can increase the time and mental work needed to understand speech. However, saying that “the brain slows down to compensate” is only partly accurate. The brain does not necessarily lower its overall processing speed on purpose. Instead, the listening task becomes more complicated. Extra steps can delay understanding and the response that follows.


A useful everyday description is: “My brain needs more time because it has more listening work to do.” That preserves an important distinction between a communication bottleneck and a general loss of thinking ability. The scientific literature describes this work through listening effort and models of language understanding. [1, 2]


From automatic understanding to active reconstruction

With an accessible speech signal, familiar words often connect quickly with their meanings. With hearing loss, parts of the signal may be missing or uncertain. A listener may have to use context and working memory to work out the intended words rather than recognizing them almost automatically. The Ease of Language Understanding model describes this shift toward more explicit processing when the incoming signal does not readily match stored language representations. It is an explanatory model, not a measurement of what every listener’s brain does in every conversation. [2]


Imagine hearing, “Please put the … beside the door.” Was the missing word “bag,” “box,” or “coat”? You hold the sentence in mind, consider the situation, look at the speaker, and select a likely meaning. This illustration shows why understanding may arrive after the speaker has already moved on.


There are several possible sources of delay: uncertainty about a sound, time spent recovering a missed word, a request for repetition, and the need to reconnect the recovered information with the rest of the sentence. Together, these can produce a slower conversational response even when the person can reason well once the message is clear.


Deliberately slowing the conversation can help by giving that reconstruction time to finish. That is different from claiming that the nervous system has deliberately reduced its speed. A pause is often an accommodation to the task.

Nor is there a universal delay, such as “hearing loss adds three seconds.” The same person may respond promptly in a quiet room and struggle when several people speak at once. Speech recognition and listening effort depend on the situation as well as the individual. [1, 8]


Why understanding can compete with remembering

Working memory is the mental workspace used to hold information while doing something with it. In conversation, you may need to retain the beginning of a sentence while interpreting the ending. When interpreting the words requires extra effort, less capacity may remain for other tasks.


McCoy and colleagues studied older adults and found results consistent with an effortfulness explanation: the resources used to achieve successful speech perception can come at a cost to later memory for that speech. Hearing the words correctly does not guarantee that remembering them will be equally easy. This is evidence of a possible tradeoff, not proof that all memory problems arise from hearing loss. [3]


Consider a spouse giving three instructions while you are putting away groceries. You reconstruct the first instruction, miss part of the second, and hear the third. Later, “I already told you” may be true from the speaker’s perspective, while the information never became a clear, complete message for you.


This example is an illustration rather than a diagnosis. It shows why a person may look forgetful when the difficulty began with access to the message. It also explains why guessing politely can create trouble: the conversation continues without either person realizing that they understood different things.


A practical response is to repeat the important detail: “You want me to put the keys by the door, correct?” For appointments, money, medication instructions, or travel arrangements, a written message provides a second route to the information. It also removes the pressure to hold every detail in mind while decoding speech.

The aim is to make understanding easier to verify. A successful exchange is one in which both people know that the message arrived.


The cumulative cost: effort, fatigue, and social strain

Listening effort is the mental energy invested in meeting a listening demand. The FUEL framework emphasizes that effort also depends on motivation and the resources someone can bring to a situation. Two people with similar hearing tests can experience different burdens, and one person’s burden can change across the day. [1]


Fatigue is related to effort, but it is not the same thing. Sustained difficult listening may contribute to exhaustion; nevertheless, fatigue has multiple causes and cannot be read directly from an audiogram. A review of fatigue concepts cautions that the evidence is complex and that different kinds of fatigue need to be distinguished. [4]


In a study of adults seeking help for hearing difficulties, Hornsby and Kipp found that reported fatigue was more strongly associated with the perceived social and emotional consequences of hearing loss than with the measured degree of loss. This association does not establish which factor caused which. It does help explain why someone with a seemingly moderate loss can still feel heavily burdened. [5]


In daily life, a tired listener might contribute less, hesitate before replying, or choose a quieter setting. Those behaviors can be misinterpreted as indifference. For an introverted person, the wish for quiet may already be familiar; hearing difficulty can add a separate communication burden. Introversion itself is not evidence of impaired processing.


A useful sentence is: “I want to hear what you are saying. Please give me a moment to finish understanding it.” Another is: “I need a short quiet break, and then we can continue.” These are ways to describe a need without assigning blame.


The hearing partner has needs too. They may want a clear acknowledgment and reassurance that the conversation matters. Agreeing on a simple pause signal can help both people know what is happening.


Counter-argument: a slower reply is not a slower brain

The strongest counter-argument is that conversational delay is an unreliable measure of overall cognitive speed. A person may be thinking normally but receiving incomplete information. Measuring their response to an unclear spoken question mixes hearing access with thinking ability. It cannot, by itself, show which process caused the delay.


Age-related changes, poor sleep, mood, medication effects, and illness can also affect attention or response time. Hearing loss and cognitive changes can coexist. Therefore, it is just as mistaken to explain every difficulty as “only hearing” as it is to interpret every pause as cognitive decline.


The ACHIEVE randomized trial provides a related caution about long-term claims. Across its full study population, hearing intervention did not significantly change three-year cognitive decline compared with the control intervention. A prespecified analysis found benefit in the higher-risk ARIC cohort. These results support a more qualified interpretation than “hearing aids prevent dementia.” They also address long-term outcomes, not the seconds needed to answer a question. [7]


Making the conversation easier

Try a shared routine: get the listener’s attention, face them in good light, reduce background sound, and introduce the topic before giving details. Use a natural, clear pace with pauses between ideas. If a sentence fails, rephrase it rather than repeating it louder and faster. Give the listener room to confirm the meaning.


Hearing aids can reduce effort and susceptibility to mental fatigue for some people under studied conditions, but they do not guarantee effortless listening. [6] 


The most respectful interpretation of a pause is often simple: the person is still completing the work of understanding. Giving that work time can make conversation more accurate and less tiring.


Bibliography

[1] Pichora-Fuller, M. K., et al. (2016). Hearing impairment and cognitive energy: The Framework for Understanding Effortful Listening (FUEL). Ear and Hearing, 37(Suppl. 1), 5S–27S. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/27355771/

[2] Rönnberg, J., et al. (2013). The Ease of Language Understanding (ELU) model: Theoretical, empirical, and clinical advances. Frontiers in Systems Neuroscience, 7, 31. https://pmc.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/articles/PMC3710434/

[3] McCoy, S. L., et al. (2005). Hearing loss and perceptual effort: Downstream effects on older adults’ memory for speech. Quarterly Journal of Experimental Psychology A, 58(1), 22–33. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/15881289/

[4] Hornsby, B. W. Y., Naylor, G., & Bess, F. H. (2016). A taxonomy of fatigue concepts and their relation to hearing loss. Ear and Hearing, 37(Suppl. 1), 136S–144S. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/27355763/

[5] Hornsby, B. W. Y., & Kipp, A. M. (2016). Subjective ratings of fatigue and vigor in adults with hearing loss are driven by perceived hearing difficulties not degree of hearing loss. Ear and Hearing, 37(1), e1–e10. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26295606/

[6] Hornsby, B. W. Y. (2013). The effects of hearing aid use on listening effort and mental fatigue associated with sustained speech processing demands. Ear and Hearing, 34(5), 523–534. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/23426091/

[7] Lin, F. R., et al. (2023). Hearing intervention versus health education control to reduce cognitive decline in older adults with hearing loss in the USA (ACHIEVE): A multicentre, randomised controlled trial. The Lancet, 402, 786–797. https://pmc.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/articles/PMC10529382/

[8] Picou, E. M., Ricketts, T. A., & Hornsby, B. W. Y. (2013). How hearing aids, background noise, and visual cues influence objective listening effort. Ear and Hearing, 34(5), e52–e64. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/23416751/



No comments: