Please take a look at Articles on self-defense/conflict/violence for introductions to the references found in the bibliography page.

Please take a look at my bibliography if you do not see a proper reference to a post.

Please take a look at my Notable Quotes

Hey, Attention on Deck!

Hey, NOTHING here is PERSONAL, get over it - Teach Me and I will Learn!


When you begin to feel like you are a tough guy, a warrior, a master of the martial arts or that you have lived a tough life, just take a moment and get some perspective with the following:


I've stopped knives that were coming to disembowel me

I've clawed for my gun while bullets ripped past me

I've dodged as someone tried to put an ax in my skull

I've fought screaming steel and left rubber on the road to avoid death

I've clawed broken glass out of my body after their opening attack failed

I've spit blood and body parts and broke strangle holds before gouging eyes

I've charged into fires, fought through blizzards and run from tornados

I've survived being hunted by gangs, killers and contract killers

The streets were my home, I hunted in the night and was hunted in turn


Please don't brag to me that you're a survivor because someone hit you. And don't tell me how 'tough' you are because of your training. As much as I've been through I know people who have survived much, much worse. - Marc MacYoung

WARNING, CAVEAT AND NOTE

The postings on this blog are my interpretation of readings, studies and experiences therefore errors and omissions are mine and mine alone. The content surrounding the extracts of books, see bibliography on this blog site, are also mine and mine alone therefore errors and omissions are also mine and mine alone and therefore why I highly recommended one read, study, research and fact find the material for clarity. My effort here is self-clarity toward a fuller understanding of the subject matter. See the bibliography for information on the books. Please make note that this article/post is my personal analysis of the subject and the information used was chosen or picked by me. It is not an analysis piece because it lacks complete and comprehensive research, it was not adequately and completely investigated and it is not balanced, i.e., it is my personal view without the views of others including subject experts, etc. Look at this as “Infotainment rather then expert research.” This is an opinion/editorial article/post meant to persuade the reader to think, decide and accept or reject my premise. It is an attempt to cause change or reinforce attitudes, beliefs and values as they apply to martial arts and/or self-defense. It is merely a commentary on the subject in the particular article presented.


Note: I will endevor to provide a bibliography and italicize any direct quotes from the materials I use for this blog. If there are mistakes, errors, and/or omissions, I take full responsibility for them as they are mine and mine alone. If you find any mistakes, errors, and/or omissions please comment and let me know along with the correct information and/or sources.



“What you are reading right now is a blog. It’s written and posted by me, because I want to. I get no financial remuneration for writing it. I don’t have to meet anyone’s criteria in order to post it. Not only I don’t have an employer or publisher, but I’m not even constrained by having to please an audience. If people won’t like it, they won’t read it, but I won’t lose anything by it. Provided I don’t break any laws (libel, incitement to violence, etc.), I can post whatever I want. This means that I can write openly and honestly, however controversial my opinions may be. It also means that I could write total bullshit; there is no quality control. I could be biased. I could be insane. I could be trolling. … not all sources are equivalent, and all sources have their pros and cons. These needs to be taken into account when evaluating information, and all information should be evaluated.” - God’s Bastard, Sourcing Sources (this applies to this and other blogs by me as well; if you follow the idea's, advice or information you are on your own, don't come crying to me, it is all on you do do the work to make sure it works for you!)



“You should prepare yourself to dedicate at least five or six years to your training and practice to understand the philosophy and physiokinetics of martial arts and karate so that you can understand the true spirit of everything and dedicate your mind, body and spirit to the discipline of the art.” - cejames (note: you are on your own, make sure you get expert hands-on guidance in all things martial and self-defense)



“All I say is by way of discourse, and nothing by way of advice. I should not speak so boldly if it were my due to be believed.” - Montaigne


I am not a leading authority on any one discipline that I write about and teach, it is my hope and wish that with all the subjects I have studied it provides me an advantage point that I offer in as clear and cohesive writings as possible in introducing the matters in my materials. I hope to serve as one who inspires direction in the practitioner so they can go on to discover greater teachers and professionals that will build on this fundamental foundation. Find the authorities and synthesize a wholehearted and holistic concept, perception and belief that will not drive your practices but rather inspire them to evolve, grow and prosper. My efforts are born of those who are more experienced and knowledgable than I. I hope you find that path! See the bibliography I provide for an initial list of experts, professionals and masters of the subjects.

😮‍💨Shin Kokyū [深呼吸]😮‍💨

(true breath) is an ancient Japanese breathing technique designed to calm the nervous system quickly.


Shin Kokyū The Practice of Deep Breathing


Shoulders settle down
Air moves softly through the ribs
A pause finds its place


Before the next step
Breath returns without a fight
The mind sees the path


Shin kokyū (深呼吸, しんこきゅう) is the everyday Japanese expression for deep breathing or taking a deep breath. 深 means deep; 呼吸 means breathing. It sounds simple because it is simple. Yet a deliberate breath can mark a useful pause between feeling pressure and choosing what to do next. In martial practice, daily stress, or an ordinary conversation, the value lies less in taking the largest breath possible than in breathing comfortably and noticing what changes.


What it is and what it is not

A deep breath can mean allowing the diaphragm and lower ribs to move so that the lungs fill more fully, followed by an unforced exhale. In common speech, “take a deep breath” may also mean slow down and collect yourself. These meanings overlap, but depth, pace, and effort are separate choices. A huge, repeated gulp of air can feel unpleasant; a gentle breath with a relaxed, slightly longer exhale may be more useful when you are tense.


Shin kokyū is a general word, not the name of one fixed martial arts method. Individual schools may use distinct breath practices for kata, conditioning, meditation, exertion, or recovery. It should not be confused with ibuki, which in some traditions refers to a more forceful or audible breathing method, or with any claim that one breathing pattern is required for all movements. The teacher’s context matters.


What happens in the body

Breathing moves air through the lungs and participates in the exchange of oxygen and carbon dioxide. The diaphragm descends during an easy inhalation, while the lower rib cage can expand. Breathing also interacts with heart rate and the autonomic nervous system. Reviews of slow breathing report changes in measures such as heart rate variability and cardiorespiratory coordination, though those measures are not a simple meter of “calm” or proof of a cure (Russo et al., 2017; Zaccaro et al., 2018).


Attention matters too. Feeling the breath gives the mind a concrete task: 

  • notice the inhale, 
  • notice the exhale, 
  • release unnecessary muscle tension, and 
  • look again at the situation. 


That may help interrupt a spiral of hurried thoughts. It does not erase the problem; it may give you a moment in which to respond to it.


A gentle way to practice

  • Sit or stand in a comfortable position. 
  • Let the shoulders and jaw soften. 
  • Breathe in gently, preferably through the nose if that is comfortable, and 
    • let the lower ribs or abdomen move without forcing them outward. 
  • Exhale easily through the nose or mouth. 
  • Continue for a few breaths. 
    • If counting helps, use a comfortable, even pace; 
    • do not chase a particular number or hold your breath to prove control. 


The NHS advises letting the breath flow as deeply as is comfortable without forcing it.

Afterward, check something practical: 

  1. Are your shoulders less raised? 
  2. Can you speak in a normal voice? 
  3. Is your attention wider? 


If the exercise makes you dizzy, tingly, or more distressed, stop and return to ordinary breathing. Breathing repeatedly too fast or too forcefully can lower carbon dioxide and produce symptoms that are easily mistaken for a need for still more air. People with respiratory or cardiac conditions, or persistent breathlessness, should seek individualized medical advice rather than pushing through symptoms.


Where it fits in martial training

Before a kata or drill, a few easy breaths can help you notice posture, balance, and the space around you. 

  • During movement, breath should remain responsive to the work. 
  • Exhale during exertion when useful, but 
    • avoid becoming so preoccupied with a prescribed count that you miss timing, footing, or your partner. 


After a demanding round, easing the breath can help you assess whether you are ready to continue.


For civilian self-protection, the first job remains awareness, distance, and a safe choice of action. A breath may help prevent a rushed word or unnecessary escalation if time permits. It is not a substitute for moving away from danger, calling for help, or acting when an immediate threat leaves no time for a calming ritual. A practiced breath is best understood as one small tool in sound judgment.


What the evidence can and cannot tell us

A meta-analysis of randomized trials found a small-to-medium average reduction in stress associated with breathwork, while urging caution because study quality and methods varied (Fincham et al., 2023). A review of diaphragmatic breathing likewise reported promising stress outcomes but called for stronger evidence (Hopper et al., 2019). Those studies examine breathing interventions of many kinds; they do not establish a unique medical effect of the Japanese word shin kokyū or of any particular karate tradition.


The size of the benefit can vary by person and situation. Someone may find quiet breathing grounding, while another person may feel anxious when directed to monitor every breath. Some people benefit more from walking, speaking with someone, or attending to sights and sounds outside themselves. The best test is whether a gentle practice helps you function without creating new discomfort.


A counter-argument worth considering

A skeptic might say that deep breathing is oversold. Stress can come from real conflict, illness, exhaustion, or unsafe conditions. A few breaths do not fix those causes, and elaborate claims about instantly switching the nervous system into a perfect state go beyond the evidence. That criticism is fair. Slow breathing can be a modest aid, not a replacement for sleep, treatment, problem solving, or safety planning.


MyNote: there is nothing herein to give the impression its a do-all method but merely a tool to enhance a collection of choices and methodologies to remain safe, secure and legal as well as morally justified regardless ... as follows ...


The other side is equally practical: a modest tool need not solve everything to be useful. If one comfortable breath creates room to listen, loosen tension, or choose the next sensible action, it has served a purpose. The test is not whether it feels mystical or dramatic. The test is whether it helps, safely and repeatably, in the situation in front of you.


The useful lesson

Shin kokyū invites a simple sequence: 

  1. breathe gently, 
  2. observe clearly, 
  3. then act. 
    1. Let the breath be natural enough to support movement and speech. 
    2. Practice it in calm moments so that, under pressure, it is familiar rather than another demanding instruction. 


Take what is helpful from the exercise and leave behind any promise that one breath can control every outcome.


Bibliography

Kotobank. (n.d.). Shinkokyū, dictionary entry. https://kotobank.jp/word/%E6%B7%B1%E5%91%BC%E5%90%B8-537436

Fincham, G. W., Strauss, C., Montero-Marin, J., & Cavanagh, K. (2023). Effect of breathwork on stress and mental health: A meta-analysis of randomised-controlled trials. Scientific Reports, 13, 432. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-022-27247-y

Hopper, S. I., et al. (2019). Effectiveness of diaphragmatic breathing for reducing physiological and psychological stress in adults: A quantitative systematic review. JBI Database of Systematic Reviews and Implementation Reports, 17(9), 1855–1876. https://doi.org/10.11124/JBISRIR-2017-003848

National Health Service. (n.d.). Breathing exercises for stress. https://www.nhs.uk/mental-health/self-help/guides-tools-and-activities/breathing-exercises-for-stress/

Russo, M. A., Santarelli, D. M., & O’Rourke, D. (2017). The physiological effects of slow breathing in the healthy human. Breathe, 13(4), 298–309. https://doi.org/10.1183/20734735.009817

Zaccaro, A., et al. (2018). How breath-control can change your life: A systematic review on psycho-physiological correlates of slow breathing. Frontiers in Human Neuroscience, 12, 353. https://doi.org/10.3389/fnhum.2018.00353

Word count: 1,227  |  Page count: 3

No comments: