Please take a look at Articles on self-defense/conflict/violence for introductions to the references found in the bibliography page.

Please take a look at my bibliography if you do not see a proper reference to a post.

Please take a look at my Notable Quotes

Hey, Attention on Deck!

Hey, NOTHING here is PERSONAL, get over it - Teach Me and I will Learn!


When you begin to feel like you are a tough guy, a warrior, a master of the martial arts or that you have lived a tough life, just take a moment and get some perspective with the following:


I've stopped knives that were coming to disembowel me

I've clawed for my gun while bullets ripped past me

I've dodged as someone tried to put an ax in my skull

I've fought screaming steel and left rubber on the road to avoid death

I've clawed broken glass out of my body after their opening attack failed

I've spit blood and body parts and broke strangle holds before gouging eyes

I've charged into fires, fought through blizzards and run from tornados

I've survived being hunted by gangs, killers and contract killers

The streets were my home, I hunted in the night and was hunted in turn


Please don't brag to me that you're a survivor because someone hit you. And don't tell me how 'tough' you are because of your training. As much as I've been through I know people who have survived much, much worse. - Marc MacYoung

WARNING, CAVEAT AND NOTE

The postings on this blog are my interpretation of readings, studies and experiences therefore errors and omissions are mine and mine alone. The content surrounding the extracts of books, see bibliography on this blog site, are also mine and mine alone therefore errors and omissions are also mine and mine alone and therefore why I highly recommended one read, study, research and fact find the material for clarity. My effort here is self-clarity toward a fuller understanding of the subject matter. See the bibliography for information on the books. Please make note that this article/post is my personal analysis of the subject and the information used was chosen or picked by me. It is not an analysis piece because it lacks complete and comprehensive research, it was not adequately and completely investigated and it is not balanced, i.e., it is my personal view without the views of others including subject experts, etc. Look at this as “Infotainment rather then expert research.” This is an opinion/editorial article/post meant to persuade the reader to think, decide and accept or reject my premise. It is an attempt to cause change or reinforce attitudes, beliefs and values as they apply to martial arts and/or self-defense. It is merely a commentary on the subject in the particular article presented.


Note: I will endevor to provide a bibliography and italicize any direct quotes from the materials I use for this blog. If there are mistakes, errors, and/or omissions, I take full responsibility for them as they are mine and mine alone. If you find any mistakes, errors, and/or omissions please comment and let me know along with the correct information and/or sources.



“What you are reading right now is a blog. It’s written and posted by me, because I want to. I get no financial remuneration for writing it. I don’t have to meet anyone’s criteria in order to post it. Not only I don’t have an employer or publisher, but I’m not even constrained by having to please an audience. If people won’t like it, they won’t read it, but I won’t lose anything by it. Provided I don’t break any laws (libel, incitement to violence, etc.), I can post whatever I want. This means that I can write openly and honestly, however controversial my opinions may be. It also means that I could write total bullshit; there is no quality control. I could be biased. I could be insane. I could be trolling. … not all sources are equivalent, and all sources have their pros and cons. These needs to be taken into account when evaluating information, and all information should be evaluated.” - God’s Bastard, Sourcing Sources (this applies to this and other blogs by me as well; if you follow the idea's, advice or information you are on your own, don't come crying to me, it is all on you do do the work to make sure it works for you!)



“You should prepare yourself to dedicate at least five or six years to your training and practice to understand the philosophy and physiokinetics of martial arts and karate so that you can understand the true spirit of everything and dedicate your mind, body and spirit to the discipline of the art.” - cejames (note: you are on your own, make sure you get expert hands-on guidance in all things martial and self-defense)



“All I say is by way of discourse, and nothing by way of advice. I should not speak so boldly if it were my due to be believed.” - Montaigne


I am not a leading authority on any one discipline that I write about and teach, it is my hope and wish that with all the subjects I have studied it provides me an advantage point that I offer in as clear and cohesive writings as possible in introducing the matters in my materials. I hope to serve as one who inspires direction in the practitioner so they can go on to discover greater teachers and professionals that will build on this fundamental foundation. Find the authorities and synthesize a wholehearted and holistic concept, perception and belief that will not drive your practices but rather inspire them to evolve, grow and prosper. My efforts are born of those who are more experienced and knowledgable than I. I hope you find that path! See the bibliography I provide for an initial list of experts, professionals and masters of the subjects.

🎖️Military Bearing🪖

Character Personality and Self Defense Instincts


Boot heels meet the ground
A quiet mind surveys the room
Strength waits for its cue


The pulse rises fast
Open hands and measured breath hold
A safer way home


What military bearing means

Military bearing is the way a service member carries and conducts himself or herself: 

  • appearance, 
  • posture, 
  • speech, 
  • courtesy, 
  • composure, and 
  • reliability under observation. 


The Marine Corps describes bearing as making a favorable impression through carriage, appearance, and personal conduct. That definition can sound like a matter of polish, but the deeper test comes when plans fail, tempers rise, or nobody is watching. A squared away uniform may invite confidence; steady judgment must earn it.


To a Marine, bearing is familiar from drill, inspections, the way an NCO speaks to a junior Marine, and the way that NCO accepts correction. It includes taking responsibility without theatrical toughness. A person can be quiet, tired, frightened, or naturally reserved and still show bearing. It is a practiced standard of conduct, not an absence of emotion.


Bearing and character

Character concerns what guides choices: 

  • honesty, 
  • restraint, 
  • courage, 
  • fairness, and 
  • responsibility. 


Bearing is one visible expression of those choices. The Army's leadership model places character and presence in distinct, related categories; military and professional bearing belongs to presence. That distinction matters. A polished manner cannot prove moral character, and an awkward manner cannot disprove it. Look for consistency between outward conduct and what a person does when there is a cost to doing right.


Consider an error in a team. One leader stands tall and blames a subordinate; another admits the mistake, corrects it, and protects the team from repetition. The second leader shows the more meaningful bearing. Courage also includes the willingness to say, 'I was wrong,' and to stop an unnecessary confrontation. Discipline is especially valuable when pride wants the last word.


Bearing and personality

Personality describes relatively enduring tendencies, such as 

  1. sociability, 
  2. emotional reactivity, and 
  3. preference for structure. 


Bearing is a learned way to act within a role. An introvert need not become loud to project confidence; 

  • clear words, 
  • attentive listening, and 
  • a calm decision can do the work. 


A naturally forceful person may need more practice softening the voice and leaving room for others. Neither temperament guarantees virtue or competence.


Bearing can also become a mask. A person who feels fear or grief does not have to hide it indefinitely to meet a professional standard. Composure in the moment can help a team function; afterwards, honest reflection and support matter. The aim is flexible self-command, not permanent emotional suppression.


What happens under threat

People sometimes call their first reaction a survival instinct. Startle, increased heart rate, rapid attention to danger, and an urge to move are normal protective responses. Yet an impulse is not a complete reading of the scene. Under stress, attention and decisions can change. Research on realistic police scenarios suggests that visual search, experience, and training shape responses, while pressure can degrade some performance. Those findings concern trained officers in specific scenarios and cannot promise that one habit will work in every civilian encounter.


Military bearing can help at the decision point: 

  • pause long enough to orient, 
  • keep hands available and nonthreatening, 
  • create distance, 
  • speak plainly, 
  • find an exit, and 
  • call for help when appropriate. 


If danger is immediate, action may need to be fast. Bearing does not mean standing rigidly or ignoring a gut feeling. It means using the warning as a cue to observe and choose, then adjusting as new facts appear. The best self-defense outcome is often leaving safely without a fight.


Training judgment along with action

Practice ordinary situations before dramatic ones. 

  • Notice exits when entering a place without staring at strangers. 
  • Rehearse a simple boundary such as, 'Please give me space.' 
  • Practice moving away while keeping balance and awareness. 


In training, include ambiguous scenarios where the correct choice is to disengage, ask a question, or help a bystander. Add realistic stress gradually and debrief both the decision and its effect on others.


For someone with hearing loss, bearing need not depend on catching every spoken cue. 

  • Position yourself for a clear view, 
  • ask for repetition early, 
  • use a concise hand signal with companions, and 
  • avoid pretending to hear a command you missed. 
  • Calmly saying, 'I did not hear that; please face me and repeat it,' is self-command. 


Visual scanning and a prearranged exit plan can support awareness, while hearing aids have real limits in noise.


A counter-argument worth taking seriously

One might argue that military bearing is mostly performance: posture and a controlled voice can intimidate others, conceal fear, reward conformity, or even lead someone to stay in a dangerous place to protect an image of toughness. That objection is sound whenever bearing is reduced to appearance or stoicism. It can also encourage snap judgments about people whose disability, culture, age, or temperament changes how they present themselves.


The answer is to judge bearing by conduct and results, not by a pose. 

  1. Did the person perceive accurately, 
  2. treat others with dignity, 
  3. remain accountable, and 
  4. use only the response the situation called for? 


A retreat can show more discipline than a confrontation. The standard should be humane enough to permit uncertainty and adaptable enough to change course.


The practical connection

  • Character supplies the reason for restraint. 
  • Personality influences how a person naturally expresses it. 
  • Bearing turns a chosen standard into a visible habit. 
  • Survival reactions supply urgency, but 
  • awareness and practice help decide what that urgency means. 


When these parts work together, the person is more likely to stay useful under pressure: neither frozen by the demand to look fearless nor driven by the need to prove it.


"If you have to prove it, you ain't got it!"


Bibliography

United States Marine Corps. Leading Marines, MCWP 6-10. https://www.smmc.marines.mil/Leading-Marines/

United States Marine Corps. Values Based Training Resource, Appendix B, Leadership Traits. https://www.hqmc.marines.mil/Portals/148/Docs/Values%20Based%20Training%20Resource.pdf

Department of the Army. Army Leadership and the Profession, ADP 6-22, 2019. https://www.benning.army.mil/Infantry/199th/2-16/ABOLC/content/pdf/ADP%206-22%20%20Army%20Leadership%20and%20the%20Profession.pdf

Gaze Control and Tactical Decision-Making Under Stress in Active-Duty Police Officers During a Live Use-of-Force Response. 2023. PubMed PMID 37385608. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/37385608/

Negative Consequences of Pressure on Marksmanship May be Offset by Early Training Exposure to Contextually Relevant Threat Training: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. 2022. PubMed PMID 35387527. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/35387527/

Word count: 1,079  |  Page count: 3

No comments: