Please take a look at Articles on self-defense/conflict/violence for introductions to the references found in the bibliography page.

Please take a look at my bibliography if you do not see a proper reference to a post.

Please take a look at my Notable Quotes

Hey, Attention on Deck!

Hey, NOTHING here is PERSONAL, get over it - Teach Me and I will Learn!


When you begin to feel like you are a tough guy, a warrior, a master of the martial arts or that you have lived a tough life, just take a moment and get some perspective with the following:


I've stopped knives that were coming to disembowel me

I've clawed for my gun while bullets ripped past me

I've dodged as someone tried to put an ax in my skull

I've fought screaming steel and left rubber on the road to avoid death

I've clawed broken glass out of my body after their opening attack failed

I've spit blood and body parts and broke strangle holds before gouging eyes

I've charged into fires, fought through blizzards and run from tornados

I've survived being hunted by gangs, killers and contract killers

The streets were my home, I hunted in the night and was hunted in turn


Please don't brag to me that you're a survivor because someone hit you. And don't tell me how 'tough' you are because of your training. As much as I've been through I know people who have survived much, much worse. - Marc MacYoung

WARNING, CAVEAT AND NOTE

The postings on this blog are my interpretation of readings, studies and experiences therefore errors and omissions are mine and mine alone. The content surrounding the extracts of books, see bibliography on this blog site, are also mine and mine alone therefore errors and omissions are also mine and mine alone and therefore why I highly recommended one read, study, research and fact find the material for clarity. My effort here is self-clarity toward a fuller understanding of the subject matter. See the bibliography for information on the books. Please make note that this article/post is my personal analysis of the subject and the information used was chosen or picked by me. It is not an analysis piece because it lacks complete and comprehensive research, it was not adequately and completely investigated and it is not balanced, i.e., it is my personal view without the views of others including subject experts, etc. Look at this as “Infotainment rather then expert research.” This is an opinion/editorial article/post meant to persuade the reader to think, decide and accept or reject my premise. It is an attempt to cause change or reinforce attitudes, beliefs and values as they apply to martial arts and/or self-defense. It is merely a commentary on the subject in the particular article presented.


Note: I will endevor to provide a bibliography and italicize any direct quotes from the materials I use for this blog. If there are mistakes, errors, and/or omissions, I take full responsibility for them as they are mine and mine alone. If you find any mistakes, errors, and/or omissions please comment and let me know along with the correct information and/or sources.



“What you are reading right now is a blog. It’s written and posted by me, because I want to. I get no financial remuneration for writing it. I don’t have to meet anyone’s criteria in order to post it. Not only I don’t have an employer or publisher, but I’m not even constrained by having to please an audience. If people won’t like it, they won’t read it, but I won’t lose anything by it. Provided I don’t break any laws (libel, incitement to violence, etc.), I can post whatever I want. This means that I can write openly and honestly, however controversial my opinions may be. It also means that I could write total bullshit; there is no quality control. I could be biased. I could be insane. I could be trolling. … not all sources are equivalent, and all sources have their pros and cons. These needs to be taken into account when evaluating information, and all information should be evaluated. - God’s Bastard, Sourcing Sources (this applies to this and other blogs by me as well; if you follow the idea's, advice or information you are on your own, don't come crying to me, it is all on you do do the work to make sure it works for you!)



“You should prepare yourself to dedicate at least five or six years to your training and practice to understand the philosophy and physiokinetics of martial arts and karate so that you can understand the true spirit of everything and dedicate your mind, body and spirit to the discipline of the art.” - cejames (note: you are on your own, make sure you get expert hands-on guidance in all things martial and self-defense)



“All I say is by way of discourse, and nothing by way of advice. I should not speak so boldly if it were my due to be believed.” - Montaigne


I am not a leading authority on any one discipline that I write about and teach, it is my hope and wish that with all the subjects I have studied it provides me an advantage point that I offer in as clear and cohesive writings as possible in introducing the matters in my materials. I hope to serve as one who inspires direction in the practitioner so they can go on to discover greater teachers and professionals that will build on this fundamental foundation. Find the authorities and synthesize a wholehearted and holistic concept, perception and belief that will not drive your practices but rather inspire them to evolve, grow and prosper. My efforts are born of those who are more experienced and knowledgable than I. I hope you find that path! See the bibliography I provide for an initial list of experts, professionals and masters of the subjects.

The Secret in Martial Discipline

Turning Intention into Prepared Self-Defense


Mind sees the pathway
Hands repeat what thought has shaped
Calm arrives through skill


Wish is not armor
Practice gives intention form
Awareness stands guard


A conversational essay on intention, visualization, confidence, disciplined practice, and reality-based self-defense


Introduction

Rhonda Byrne’s The Secret presents a simple and attractive proposition: what we consistently focus on, believe in, feel, and expect can influence what we experience. Its best-known formula is “Ask, Believe, Receive,” supported by practices such as visualization, gratitude, intention, affirmations, and deliberate management of thoughts and feelings. Taken literally, The Secret goes further and describes these practices as working through a universal “law of attraction.” That metaphysical claim is controversial and is not established by mainstream scientific evidence. Yet several of the practical habits wrapped inside the philosophy can be translated into useful methods for teaching and practicing martial disciplines for civilian self-defense.


The key is translation. 

In a dojo concerned with self-defense, “attraction” should never mean believing that a desired outcome will simply appear. It can instead be treated as a discipline of attentiondecide what kind of martial artist you intend to become, mentally rehearse appropriate behavior, build confidence through competent practice, notice opportunities to improve, and repeatedly act in ways consistent with the desired result.


In that form, The Secret becomes less a promise that thoughts control external reality and more a reminder that thoughts can influence attention, motivation, emotional regulation, practice quality, and behavior. Those factors genuinely matter when a student is learning to protect himself or herself.


1. Ask: Define the Desired Outcome

The “Ask” principle begins with clarity. In self-defense training, a poorly defined goal often produces poorly organized practice. “I want to be good at fighting” is vague. A more useful intention is: “I want to recognize danger early, avoid unnecessary conflict, remain composed under pressure, protect myself or another person when necessary, and disengage safely.”


That distinction is important because civilian self-defense is not primarily about defeating an opponent. It is about managing danger. The desired outcome should therefore include awareness, avoidance, verbal boundary setting, positioning, escape, proportional physical response, and post-incident judgment—not merely striking or grappling ability.


An instructor can apply the Ask principle by having students identify specific capabilities. 


  • One student may need to improve balance and movement. 
  • Another may freeze when confronted verbally. 
  • Another may possess strong technique but make poor tactical decisions. 


Clear intentions allow practice to become purposeful rather than mechanical.


In traditional martial language, this resembles giving direction to shugyō—disciplined training. The student is not merely accumulating techniques. He or she is deliberately shaping character, perception, judgment, and physical capability toward a defined end.


2. Believe: Build Functional Confidence

“Believe” is perhaps the easiest principle to misunderstand. For self-defense, belief should not become invincibility thinking. A student who believes “nothing can hurt me” has learned something dangerous. Functional belief is different: “I have trained this problem. I know what I can do. I can act despite fear, and I can adapt if my first action fails.”


Psychology calls a closely related concept self-efficacya person’s belief in his or her capability to perform a task. Research in sport consistently associates self-efficacy with performance, although confidence is most useful when it is connected to actual preparation. Martial instruction can build this kind of belief through progressive success

  • correct repetitions, 
  • increasingly difficult partner work, 
  • controlled resistance, 
  • scenario practice, and 
  • constructive feedback.


A novice may initially think, “I could never respond under pressure.” The instructor should not answer with empty reassurance. Instead, the instructor creates experiences that permit the student to discover, “I handled that drill at low intensity; then at moderate intensity; now I can do it while surprised and fatigued.” 


Belief emerges from evidence.


This is where The Secret’s emphasis on belief can be valuable if grounded in reality. 


Confidence should be earned, tested, corrected, and renewed.


3. Visualization: Rehearse the Process, Not a Fantasy

Visualization is central to The Secret, and it also has a legitimate place in performance training. A 2025 systematic review and multilevel meta-analysis covering 86 studies and 3,593 athletes found that imagery practice can enhance athletic performance. 


The lesson for martial disciplines is not that imagining victory magically causes victory. Rather, mental imagery can supplement physical practice by rehearsing perception, decisions, movement, timing, and emotional control.


For self-defense, useful visualization should be process-centered. Imagine noticing a person closing distance. See yourself changing position, keeping your hands available, using a clear verbal boundary, identifying an exit, and moving away. If physical action becomes necessary, visualize a simple practiced response followed by disengagement and escape.


The mental rehearsal should also include complications. Perhaps the first movement fails. Perhaps footing is poor. Perhaps another person appears. Perhaps adrenaline makes the hands shake. The student then imagines adapting rather than mentally scripting a perfect cinematic victory.


This approach changes visualization from wishful thinking into rehearsal. The desired image is not “I defeat everyone.” It is “I recognize, decide, act, adapt, and survive.”


4. Gratitude: A Training Tool for Perspective

Gratitude is another major theme in The Secret. In martial practice it can serve a quieter but useful purpose. A student can be grateful for the ability to train, for trustworthy partners, for an instructor who corrects mistakes, for a body that can still learn, and even for weaknesses revealed safely in practice.


This attitude changes the emotional meaning of correction. Instead of hearing, “You failed,” the student can learn to hear, “Training just showed me something I can improve before it matters.”


Gratitude can also counter the ego that sometimes grows around martial skill. Self-defense competence should ideally produce greater restraint, not greater appetite for confrontation. Appreciating training partners and recognizing the seriousness of violence encourages humility. The partner who safely exposes a weakness is providing a gift that an actual aggressor would not.


In this sense, gratitude supports the ethical side of martial discipline: capability accompanied by respect.


5. Thoughts and Feelings: Control the Internal Conversation

The Secret emphasizes monitoring thoughts and feelings. Martial training has long recognized a related problem: internal dialogue can either support or interfere with performance.


A student who repeatedly thinks, “I always freeze,” “I am too slow,” or “I cannot handle aggressive people” may begin approaching drills with hesitation. An instructor need not replace these thoughts with unrealistic affirmations. A better replacement is specific and actionable: “Breathe. See the hands. Move to space. Use my voice. Do the next trained action.”


This is a martial form of constructive self-talk. It reduces the cognitive burden of trying to predict an entire encounter and returns attention to the immediate task.


The same principle applies after mistakes. “I failed” is global and final. “My distance was wrong; next repetition I will move earlier” converts emotion into information. The objective is not permanent positivity. The objective is useful thinking.


6. Receive: Become Receptive to Feedback and Opportunity

In The Secret, “Receive” refers to emotionally accepting the desired outcome as available. In martial education, the concept can be reframed as readiness to receive information.


Students sometimes train while unconsciously protecting their self-image. They explain mistakes, resist correction, blame partners, or select only drills in which they already perform well. A receptive student does the opposite. He or she looks for feedback.


Receiving therefore means noticing what training is telling you


  • Did you lose balance? 
  • Did you fail to see the partner’s preparatory movement? 
  • Did you become fixated on the hands and miss a second person? 
  • Did fear make you stop breathing? 
  • Did you escalate verbally when disengagement was possible?


The mature practitioner receives these observations without treating them as personal attacks. Information becomes fuel for the next cycle of practice.


7. The Law of Attraction as an Attention Principle

The metaphysical Law of Attraction says that thoughts and feelings attract corresponding experiences. There is no need to accept that claim literally in order to extract a useful martial lesson.


Attention changes what we notice

  • A student who decides to improve situational awareness begins noticing exits, distance, obstacles, hands, changes in tone, and unusual movement. 
  • A student focused on posture starts noticing when balance collapses. 
  • A student committed to de-escalation begins recognizing moments when ego is trying to take control.


This can feel as though opportunities for improvement suddenly “appear.” More cautiously stated, the student has trained attention to detect information that was always present.


That distinction matters. Martial practice benefits from disciplined optimism, but it must remain anchored to observable reality.


8. From Manifestation to Embodiment

The strongest martial interpretation of The Secret is embodiment. A person does not become prepared by wishing to be prepared. He or she becomes prepared by repeatedly behaving like a prepared person.


  • If the intention is calmness, practice calm breathing under increasing pressure. 
  • If the intention is awareness, practice scanning and information gathering. 
  • If the intention is restraint, practice disengagement and verbal boundaries. 
  • If the intention is decisive action, practice simple responses against progressive resistance. 
  • If the intention is adaptability, deliberately introduce uncertainty into drills.


Over time, intention becomes behaviorbehavior becomes habit, and habit becomes character. This resembles the martial progression from consciously performing a principle to naturally expressing it.


The student’s thought is therefore only the beginning. The body must learn what the mind intends.


9. A Practical Teaching Model: Ask–Train–Test–Reflect

For a self-defense instructor, The Secret can be converted into a four-part training cycle.


  1. First, Ask: identify the desired capability and the reason it matters. 
  2. Second, Train: use visualization, technical repetition, partner drills, and progressive resistance to build the capability. 
  3. Third, Test: introduce uncertainty, time pressure, fatigue, verbal distraction, and realistic decision problems while maintaining safety. 
  4. Fourth, Reflect: identify what worked, what failed, what was learned, and what the next training intention should be.


This cycle prevents positive thinking from becoming passive. It also prevents hard training from becoming directionless. 


Intention gives training a destination; 

training gives intention substance; 

testing gives confidence evidence; 

reflection gives experience meaning.


A student can use a short pre-training ritual: “Today I intend to remain aware, relaxed, and decisive. I will visualize the skill, practice it carefully, test it honestly, and accept correction.” After training, the student can ask: “What did I learn? What am I grateful to have discovered? What will I practice next?”


That is a grounded version of Ask, Believe, and Receive.


10. Application to Real Self-Defense

Real violence is uncertain. No mental practice can guarantee safety. 


  • An attacker may be larger, armed, accompanied, intoxicated, or simply unpredictable. 
  • Terrain, surprise, injury, legal constraints, and chance all matter. 


This is exactly why the martial interpretation of The Secret must emphasize preparation rather than promises.


  • Positive intention can encourage the practitioner to train. 
  • Visualization can mentally rehearse decisions. 
  • Confidence can reduce hesitation. 
  • Gratitude can preserve humility. 
  • Focus can direct attention. 


None of these makes the practitioner immune to danger.


The best “manifestation” in self-defense is often not a successful fight. 


  • It may be noticing trouble early enough to leave. 
  • It may be refusing an ego contest. 
  • It may be creating distance, calling for help, protecting another person, or recognizing that a situation does not require physical intervention.


The highest expression of martial skill may therefore look uneventful from the outside. Nothing dramatic happens because good judgment prevented the situation from becoming dramatic.


Counter-Argument: Where The Secret Can Become Dangerous

There is a serious counter-argument. The Secret can encourage magical thinking if its claims are interpreted literally


  • that thoughts themselves cause external events, 
  • that sufficient belief guarantees an outcome, or 
  • that negative experiences reflect improper thinking. 


In self-defense, such beliefs can be hazardous.


Violence is not governed by optimism. An aggressor does not become harmless because the intended outcome is positive. Skill cannot be visualized into existence without physical practice. Confidence that exceeds competence can encourage unnecessary risk. A student who expects the universe to deliver the desired result may ignore warning signs, underestimate an attacker, or fail to prepare for failure.


Research on positive fantasies also provides an important caution. Psychologist Gabriele Oettingen’s work on mental contrasting argues that indulging only in idealized positive futures can sometimes reduce effort. A more productive approach combines the desired future with an honest examination of present obstacles. For martial training, that means 


visualizing successful self-protection while also confronting weaknesses: limited fitness, poor distance, fear responses, unreliable technique, bad habits, legal uncertainty, or unrealistic assumptions.


Therefore, The Secret is most useful to martial artists when treated as a motivational metaphor rather than a law of physicsKeep intention, visualization, gratitude, confidence, and constructive focus. Reject invulnerability, victim-blaming, supernatural guarantees, and the idea that desire substitutes for training.


Conclusion

The principles of The Secret can fit surprisingly well within martial disciplines when they are translated from manifestation language into training language.


  • Ask becomes clear intention. 
  • Believe becomes earned self-efficacy. 
  • Visualization becomes mental rehearsal. 
  • Gratitude becomes perspective and humility. 
  • Thought management becomes constructive self-talk. 
  • Receive becomes openness to feedback. 
  • Attraction becomes directed attention. 
  • Manifestation becomes embodiment through repeated practice.


The resulting philosophy is simple: see clearly what you intend to become, believe that disciplined improvement is possible, rehearse the behaviors that support that intention, practice them under increasingly realistic conditions, learn honestly from failure, and remain grateful for the opportunity to improve.

A martial artist should not attempt to “attract” safety through thought alone. The practitioner should cultivate the mind that notices danger, the judgment that avoids needless conflict, the character that exercises restraint, and the trained body that can act when action is truly necessary.

Thought gives direction. Practice gives capability. Reality gives the test.


Keikoku 警告 — A Martial Caution

Mental imagery, confidence, affirmations, and positive focus are supplements to competent instruction and realistic training, not substitutes for them. Civilian self-defense also carries legal, ethical, medical, and situational consequences. Training should emphasize avoidance and escape whenever reasonably possible, use progressive and safely controlled resistance, and avoid creating false confidence. No method can guarantee the outcome of a violent encounter.


Bibliography

Bandura, Albert. Self-Efficacy: The Exercise of Control. W. H. Freeman, 1997.

Byrne, Rhonda. The Secret. Atria Books, 2006.

Byrne, Rhonda / The Secret Official Website. “Manifestation: How to Manifest Desires.” The Secret, 2022. Describes the Ask–Believe–Receive framework.

Byrne, Rhonda / The Secret Official Website. “Visualization: How to Visualize.” The Secret, 2022. Describes visualization as a central practice within the Believe stage.

Liu, Yiran, et al. “The Effects of Imagery Practice on Athletes’ Performance: A Multilevel Meta-Analysis with Systematic Review.” Behavioral Sciences, vol. 15, no. 5, 2025, article 685. doi:10.3390/bs15050685.

Lochbaum, Marc, et al. “Pre-Event Self-Efficacy and Sports Performance: A Systematic Review with Meta-Analysis.” Sports, vol. 11, no. 11, 2023, article 222.

López-Rodríguez, Larién, et al. “Self-Efficacy in High-Performance Sports: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis.” Psychology in Russia: State of the Art, vol. 18, no. 1, 2025, pp. 116–143.

Oettingen, Gabriele. Rethinking Positive Thinking: Inside the New Science of Motivation. Current, 2014.

Oettingen, Gabriele. “The Power of Prospection: Mental Contrasting and Behavior Change.” Social and Personality Psychology Compass, vol. 10, no. 11, 2016, pp. 591–604. doi:10.1111/spc3.12271.

 

Word Count: 2317 words

The Secret in Martial Discipline — Self-Defense Application

No comments: