Please take a look at Articles on self-defense/conflict/violence for introductions to the references found in the bibliography page.

Please take a look at my bibliography if you do not see a proper reference to a post.

Please take a look at my Notable Quotes

Hey, Attention on Deck!

Hey, NOTHING here is PERSONAL, get over it - Teach Me and I will Learn!


When you begin to feel like you are a tough guy, a warrior, a master of the martial arts or that you have lived a tough life, just take a moment and get some perspective with the following:


I've stopped knives that were coming to disembowel me

I've clawed for my gun while bullets ripped past me

I've dodged as someone tried to put an ax in my skull

I've fought screaming steel and left rubber on the road to avoid death

I've clawed broken glass out of my body after their opening attack failed

I've spit blood and body parts and broke strangle holds before gouging eyes

I've charged into fires, fought through blizzards and run from tornados

I've survived being hunted by gangs, killers and contract killers

The streets were my home, I hunted in the night and was hunted in turn


Please don't brag to me that you're a survivor because someone hit you. And don't tell me how 'tough' you are because of your training. As much as I've been through I know people who have survived much, much worse. - Marc MacYoung

WARNING, CAVEAT AND NOTE

The postings on this blog are my interpretation of readings, studies and experiences therefore errors and omissions are mine and mine alone. The content surrounding the extracts of books, see bibliography on this blog site, are also mine and mine alone therefore errors and omissions are also mine and mine alone and therefore why I highly recommended one read, study, research and fact find the material for clarity. My effort here is self-clarity toward a fuller understanding of the subject matter. See the bibliography for information on the books. Please make note that this article/post is my personal analysis of the subject and the information used was chosen or picked by me. It is not an analysis piece because it lacks complete and comprehensive research, it was not adequately and completely investigated and it is not balanced, i.e., it is my personal view without the views of others including subject experts, etc. Look at this as “Infotainment rather then expert research.” This is an opinion/editorial article/post meant to persuade the reader to think, decide and accept or reject my premise. It is an attempt to cause change or reinforce attitudes, beliefs and values as they apply to martial arts and/or self-defense. It is merely a commentary on the subject in the particular article presented.


Note: I will endevor to provide a bibliography and italicize any direct quotes from the materials I use for this blog. If there are mistakes, errors, and/or omissions, I take full responsibility for them as they are mine and mine alone. If you find any mistakes, errors, and/or omissions please comment and let me know along with the correct information and/or sources.



“What you are reading right now is a blog. It’s written and posted by me, because I want to. I get no financial remuneration for writing it. I don’t have to meet anyone’s criteria in order to post it. Not only I don’t have an employer or publisher, but I’m not even constrained by having to please an audience. If people won’t like it, they won’t read it, but I won’t lose anything by it. Provided I don’t break any laws (libel, incitement to violence, etc.), I can post whatever I want. This means that I can write openly and honestly, however controversial my opinions may be. It also means that I could write total bullshit; there is no quality control. I could be biased. I could be insane. I could be trolling. … not all sources are equivalent, and all sources have their pros and cons. These needs to be taken into account when evaluating information, and all information should be evaluated. - God’s Bastard, Sourcing Sources (this applies to this and other blogs by me as well; if you follow the idea's, advice or information you are on your own, don't come crying to me, it is all on you do do the work to make sure it works for you!)



“You should prepare yourself to dedicate at least five or six years to your training and practice to understand the philosophy and physiokinetics of martial arts and karate so that you can understand the true spirit of everything and dedicate your mind, body and spirit to the discipline of the art.” - cejames (note: you are on your own, make sure you get expert hands-on guidance in all things martial and self-defense)



“All I say is by way of discourse, and nothing by way of advice. I should not speak so boldly if it were my due to be believed.” - Montaigne


I am not a leading authority on any one discipline that I write about and teach, it is my hope and wish that with all the subjects I have studied it provides me an advantage point that I offer in as clear and cohesive writings as possible in introducing the matters in my materials. I hope to serve as one who inspires direction in the practitioner so they can go on to discover greater teachers and professionals that will build on this fundamental foundation. Find the authorities and synthesize a wholehearted and holistic concept, perception and belief that will not drive your practices but rather inspire them to evolve, grow and prosper. My efforts are born of those who are more experienced and knowledgable than I. I hope you find that path! See the bibliography I provide for an initial list of experts, professionals and masters of the subjects.

Senior Karate-ka

Blog Article/Post Caveat (Read First Please: Click the Link)

In history, human history, seniors always held a spot in the tribe, especially in those early historic times if they actually survived to live that long. Many cultures hold and revere their seniors and those seniors often held a status that said, "Tribel Mentor." 

Tribal mentors are those experienced, by surviving in the day, in life who would advise the tribe and its younger leaders on that tribes survival. Even today, many of the cultures of the world make use of their seniors in this or some other respected advisorial way. 

Breaking it down into the specific, atomistic social realities of the micro-social collective, of the dojo how do we treat those who came before, the senior karate-ka. It should be noted right here and right now that rank is not necessarily the best indicator of a senior karate-ka nor shall it dictate the traits we look to in holding senior karate-ka in the mentor-advisor-teacher position. Trophies, belts, and win-loss ratio's don't really make for this kind of senior karate-advisor, mentor or one who comes before. 

Take this quote on Japans cultural vision of their elders, "The Japanese culture values the elderly. Appreciation for elders has been ingrained in families and their children, making Japan one of the most kind places in the world for seniors. ... This arrangement is believed to be one of the many reasons the elderly in Japan live longer than any other population."

"... some cultures treat their elderly with more respect and dignity than others."
“For example, in Japan, seniors are highly respected and even celebrated. Japan even has a national paid holiday called “Respect for the Aged Day” to show appreciation for seniors, and there’s a “no-elderly-left-behind” attitude to celebrate everyone. China and India also honor their elders. Most countries have an appreciation for their elders, but unfortunately ageism is present in some cultures."

In one major culture, "seniors are subject to prejudice and stereotyping. ... While many families and religions honor and value their elders, in this major culture, is one of the places around the world where seniors are not always given the respect they deserve."

"Happiness and longevity, well into the latter part of life in Japan, have been attributed to strong community bonds, family and healthy living that includes plenty of exercise and healthy, low-fat diets. Honoring tradition to care for and respect family members, especially seniors, doesn’t hurt."

Now, as a person of Scottish descent, about 25%, i.e., Scotland and Ireland according to DNA, I find this next extract of interest:

"Older people are valued as asset in Scotland. Their voices are heard and they are supported to enjoy full and positive lives in family settings. Scotland has pledged to hear the elderly, and the cultural thinking, and money, has shifted away from hospitals and toward preventative care. This paradigm shift has allowed this culture to value life, rather than treat ailments."

AND

"Scotland also adapts homes so that people can age and stay in them. Families do their best to care for their elderly loved ones, and keep them as valued members of society. Honoring old age has become a tradition."

Now, how do those who use and teach and mentor in the dojo see the senior practitioners? If we truly want to use that discipline as a micro-social collective that can and would expand out into our daily lives for the betterment of self and the social structure in which we live, breathe and work then this must be considered.

Take a look again at the Scottish, what parts of this tradition do we promote, teach and live in the dojo? Is it something that can be extended out into daily life? How does that promote the "way" and is that an intricate part of applying skills in self-preservation and self-protection? 

We in the dojo, martial arts particularly, profess to live and breath the cultural aspects of the martial arts and in many cases it comes down to 'lip-service' as a means to 'sell' the dojo and its programs but what are the realities of that culture and how do we infuse that into our own?

One of the fundamental principles, also given a lot of lip service in lieu of walking the walk and talking the talk in that walk, is philosophies where the practitioner must find, develop and adhere to a cultural belief system that promotes the best of the discipline similar to the proverbial "sportsmanship, honor and respect" also given a lot of lip-service in most cases. Philosophy, i.e., cultural traditions, are critical in developing the non-physical concepts that make a cultural social reality. 

As to senior karate-ka as mentors, the only traits we need to consider is their age, i.e., age in that they have lived to the ‘winter years’ that in one culture is recognized as age sixty years and greater. Add in the trait that they have lived honorably and have consistently trained, practiced, studied and understood their martial arts and skills without forcing the connections of the trophies, the accolades, the organizations or the other fluff that many consider the sign of expertise. 

If we can see this and bring it to the dojo floor then those seniors all, regardless of perceived status, can achieve contributions that will make our karate, martial arts and dojo/social realities something to be proud of. 

If we can see this in others not of our culture directly; not of our blood directly; not of family directly then it will be easy to make it so in our culture, blood family and others of tribal collective that can be a model for others. 

In most cases I personally don’t see or perceive a cultural tradition of our elders and that is a shame for in my life I see many of the elders alone, ignored and left to themselves with little or no family and/or social respect and care and concern especially when they read a considerable elder status. How we treat our elders, dojo and home and socially, is a considerable statement to us and our social culture and our humanity. 

It is time to let go of lip-service and demonstrate by word-deeds-actions that we value our elders. Example: my wife manages what is called “Friendly Visitors” program where volunteers visit both elders and those who are recovering from some medical situation so they have someone to talk to, etc., once or twice a week for an hour, etc. Add in the meals on wheels program and that is something that should show others how important it is to respect, admire and look up to our “elders!"



For reference and sources and professionals go here: Bibliography (Click the link)

No comments: