Please take a look at Articles on self-defense/conflict/violence for introductions to the references found in the bibliography page.

Please take a look at my bibliography if you do not see a proper reference to a post.

Please take a look at my Notable Quotes

Hey, Attention on Deck!

Hey, NOTHING here is PERSONAL, get over it - Teach Me and I will Learn!


When you begin to feel like you are a tough guy, a warrior, a master of the martial arts or that you have lived a tough life, just take a moment and get some perspective with the following:


I've stopped knives that were coming to disembowel me

I've clawed for my gun while bullets ripped past me

I've dodged as someone tried to put an ax in my skull

I've fought screaming steel and left rubber on the road to avoid death

I've clawed broken glass out of my body after their opening attack failed

I've spit blood and body parts and broke strangle holds before gouging eyes

I've charged into fires, fought through blizzards and run from tornados

I've survived being hunted by gangs, killers and contract killers

The streets were my home, I hunted in the night and was hunted in turn


Please don't brag to me that you're a survivor because someone hit you. And don't tell me how 'tough' you are because of your training. As much as I've been through I know people who have survived much, much worse. - Marc MacYoung

WARNING, CAVEAT AND NOTE

The postings on this blog are my interpretation of readings, studies and experiences therefore errors and omissions are mine and mine alone. The content surrounding the extracts of books, see bibliography on this blog site, are also mine and mine alone therefore errors and omissions are also mine and mine alone and therefore why I highly recommended one read, study, research and fact find the material for clarity. My effort here is self-clarity toward a fuller understanding of the subject matter. See the bibliography for information on the books. Please make note that this article/post is my personal analysis of the subject and the information used was chosen or picked by me. It is not an analysis piece because it lacks complete and comprehensive research, it was not adequately and completely investigated and it is not balanced, i.e., it is my personal view without the views of others including subject experts, etc. Look at this as “Infotainment rather then expert research.” This is an opinion/editorial article/post meant to persuade the reader to think, decide and accept or reject my premise. It is an attempt to cause change or reinforce attitudes, beliefs and values as they apply to martial arts and/or self-defense. It is merely a commentary on the subject in the particular article presented.


Note: I will endevor to provide a bibliography and italicize any direct quotes from the materials I use for this blog. If there are mistakes, errors, and/or omissions, I take full responsibility for them as they are mine and mine alone. If you find any mistakes, errors, and/or omissions please comment and let me know along with the correct information and/or sources.



“What you are reading right now is a blog. It’s written and posted by me, because I want to. I get no financial remuneration for writing it. I don’t have to meet anyone’s criteria in order to post it. Not only I don’t have an employer or publisher, but I’m not even constrained by having to please an audience. If people won’t like it, they won’t read it, but I won’t lose anything by it. Provided I don’t break any laws (libel, incitement to violence, etc.), I can post whatever I want. This means that I can write openly and honestly, however controversial my opinions may be. It also means that I could write total bullshit; there is no quality control. I could be biased. I could be insane. I could be trolling. … not all sources are equivalent, and all sources have their pros and cons. These needs to be taken into account when evaluating information, and all information should be evaluated. - God’s Bastard, Sourcing Sources (this applies to this and other blogs by me as well; if you follow the idea's, advice or information you are on your own, don't come crying to me, it is all on you do do the work to make sure it works for you!)



“You should prepare yourself to dedicate at least five or six years to your training and practice to understand the philosophy and physiokinetics of martial arts and karate so that you can understand the true spirit of everything and dedicate your mind, body and spirit to the discipline of the art.” - cejames (note: you are on your own, make sure you get expert hands-on guidance in all things martial and self-defense)



“All I say is by way of discourse, and nothing by way of advice. I should not speak so boldly if it were my due to be believed.” - Montaigne


I am not a leading authority on any one discipline that I write about and teach, it is my hope and wish that with all the subjects I have studied it provides me an advantage point that I offer in as clear and cohesive writings as possible in introducing the matters in my materials. I hope to serve as one who inspires direction in the practitioner so they can go on to discover greater teachers and professionals that will build on this fundamental foundation. Find the authorities and synthesize a wholehearted and holistic concept, perception and belief that will not drive your practices but rather inspire them to evolve, grow and prosper. My efforts are born of those who are more experienced and knowledgable than I. I hope you find that path! See the bibliography I provide for an initial list of experts, professionals and masters of the subjects.

About Logic and Emotion

Blog Article/Post Caveat (Read First Please: Click the Link)

Spock, the most famous of all logical species, even tho fictional, that uses both logic and emotions to express the mutual benefit yet opposing struggle to achieve wisdom and understanding said, “Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end of it.”

The trouble with tribbles, wait, should say "logic" is in humans logic is not logic as if it is separate and distinct from emotions. My current studies to date tell me that logic comes from our emotions and our emotions are effected by our logic. Logic is a way for a part of our minds, our brains, to control the emotional side and I refer to this as, "emotional maturity." If people fail to accept and consider how our emotional side effects our thinking in the logical side will find emotions dominating. This is where trouble finds a crack in the door, trouble being that little obsessive high strung monkey begins dancing in anticipation. 

Another factor is that often the emotional side of humans doesn't have the capability to naturally see, hear or feel it when the monkey is in control making the logical side of thinking dormant. This creates a problem when our emotions are triggered in adrenal stress-conditions that come from aggression and violence as triggers emotions such as fear and anger. 

Logic-n-Emotions tend to work in tandem with one side or the other, dependent on situations and stressors along with experience, perceptions and beliefs, dominating and controlling those conditions and conditioned responses.  The base reaction most of the time without conditioning of conditioned responses is to freeze, fight or run like hell - flight or fight response. 

Our goal as martial artists and karate-ka in self-protection efforts is to recognize the two, accept their rolls in aggression and violence and, finally, discover how that can be trained into the type of conditioned responses that best serve our objectives in any given moment of any given situation that involves aggression and violence. 

Logic usually comes from a controlled emotional action or reaction or memory that constructs new memories that are emotionally based but, hopefully, contingent on facts that build a logical, at least as logical as humans can be with such strong emotionally driven survival traits, information to which we hopefully act or react in a more appropriate way. 

Logic is not pure, it is derived from experiences, knowledge of new and old construction, understanding of old and new as well as experiences tainted by social conditions and conditioning along with skills then tainted further by our beliefs. Facts, true but not so pure facts for facts are created by humans in a form that seems … factual … but as pure as humanly possible build our logical beliefs. 

The goal in martial arts and karate for self-protection and defense of self-defense depend heavily on our ability to dampen down our emotions and the monkey that rides those waves so that our more logical mind can achieve better results that carry us through not just the lead up to aggression and/or violence but the aftermath of applying violence for self-protection. Yet, seldom do people see these types of teachings in a dojo and it is assumed without guidance from those who would come before that they need to address these subjects in research. It is seldom addressed in actual hands-on trining either with an emphasis of conditioning appropriate responses to situations and conditions of moments of violence and aggressions. 

This is my wake up call to those people who may not know this, don’t know what they don’t know they don’t know so they can fill in those holes before they resort to karate and martial arts, or any other form of methodologies for self-protection, to defend and protect themselves or others. 

Dojo run and depend on groups, each individual practitioner learns and depends on the group with its dynamics along with what has been written above. In short, in order to make the logic and emotional systems to work toward the logical each of us needs, depends and requires the group. When we start research into something or other we require a group and its dynamics to conduct the research. It doesn’t stop there either, once the end results are ready to be published as research, facts and a logical product that meets the scientific and logical mind-state along with acceptance we need to allow others to study and test and discover the logic of the research, i.e., ergo why such things require a “peer group assessment and approval” before it can be labeled true, factual and logical. 

This applies to all facets of life, it is through the exchange of information and experiences that we learn, grow, evolve and prosper from that discipline. To ensure that things work in the chaos of self-protection we have to discover for ourselves the logical methodology that works, we need to test it for glitches and holes by practice and training with others, our dojo-partners and then we need to submit it to our peers, others that practice in other dojo, to determine its logic as to reality and application. 

It is up to the karate-ka, the dojo membership, other karate-ka and, this is especially important, professionals who through understanding and experience in aggression and violence can determine its logical and effective use against not just violence but all types of violence. 


So, you see, we humans have to deal with the emotionally-logical mutual influences and the only way to achieve logical factual applicable viability of anything it must be exchanged and tested through this peer group professional process for it is only through the collective can an effort be made and accomplished to find the logical applicable factual end result reducing the influences of each person emotional states, experiences and beliefs simply because the divergency of all people tend to expose the more emotionally driven things over the more logical. 

Bibliography (Click the link)

No comments: