Please take a look at Articles on self-defense/conflict/violence for introductions to the references found in the bibliography page.

Please take a look at my bibliography if you do not see a proper reference to a post.

Please take a look at my Notable Quotes

Hey, Attention on Deck!

Hey, NOTHING here is PERSONAL, get over it - Teach Me and I will Learn!


When you begin to feel like you are a tough guy, a warrior, a master of the martial arts or that you have lived a tough life, just take a moment and get some perspective with the following:


I've stopped knives that were coming to disembowel me

I've clawed for my gun while bullets ripped past me

I've dodged as someone tried to put an ax in my skull

I've fought screaming steel and left rubber on the road to avoid death

I've clawed broken glass out of my body after their opening attack failed

I've spit blood and body parts and broke strangle holds before gouging eyes

I've charged into fires, fought through blizzards and run from tornados

I've survived being hunted by gangs, killers and contract killers

The streets were my home, I hunted in the night and was hunted in turn


Please don't brag to me that you're a survivor because someone hit you. And don't tell me how 'tough' you are because of your training. As much as I've been through I know people who have survived much, much worse. - Marc MacYoung

WARNING, CAVEAT AND NOTE

The postings on this blog are my interpretation of readings, studies and experiences therefore errors and omissions are mine and mine alone. The content surrounding the extracts of books, see bibliography on this blog site, are also mine and mine alone therefore errors and omissions are also mine and mine alone and therefore why I highly recommended one read, study, research and fact find the material for clarity. My effort here is self-clarity toward a fuller understanding of the subject matter. See the bibliography for information on the books. Please make note that this article/post is my personal analysis of the subject and the information used was chosen or picked by me. It is not an analysis piece because it lacks complete and comprehensive research, it was not adequately and completely investigated and it is not balanced, i.e., it is my personal view without the views of others including subject experts, etc. Look at this as “Infotainment rather then expert research.” This is an opinion/editorial article/post meant to persuade the reader to think, decide and accept or reject my premise. It is an attempt to cause change or reinforce attitudes, beliefs and values as they apply to martial arts and/or self-defense. It is merely a commentary on the subject in the particular article presented.


Note: I will endevor to provide a bibliography and italicize any direct quotes from the materials I use for this blog. If there are mistakes, errors, and/or omissions, I take full responsibility for them as they are mine and mine alone. If you find any mistakes, errors, and/or omissions please comment and let me know along with the correct information and/or sources.



“What you are reading right now is a blog. It’s written and posted by me, because I want to. I get no financial remuneration for writing it. I don’t have to meet anyone’s criteria in order to post it. Not only I don’t have an employer or publisher, but I’m not even constrained by having to please an audience. If people won’t like it, they won’t read it, but I won’t lose anything by it. Provided I don’t break any laws (libel, incitement to violence, etc.), I can post whatever I want. This means that I can write openly and honestly, however controversial my opinions may be. It also means that I could write total bullshit; there is no quality control. I could be biased. I could be insane. I could be trolling. … not all sources are equivalent, and all sources have their pros and cons. These needs to be taken into account when evaluating information, and all information should be evaluated. - God’s Bastard, Sourcing Sources (this applies to this and other blogs by me as well; if you follow the idea's, advice or information you are on your own, don't come crying to me, it is all on you do do the work to make sure it works for you!)



“You should prepare yourself to dedicate at least five or six years to your training and practice to understand the philosophy and physiokinetics of martial arts and karate so that you can understand the true spirit of everything and dedicate your mind, body and spirit to the discipline of the art.” - cejames (note: you are on your own, make sure you get expert hands-on guidance in all things martial and self-defense)



“All I say is by way of discourse, and nothing by way of advice. I should not speak so boldly if it were my due to be believed.” - Montaigne


I am not a leading authority on any one discipline that I write about and teach, it is my hope and wish that with all the subjects I have studied it provides me an advantage point that I offer in as clear and cohesive writings as possible in introducing the matters in my materials. I hope to serve as one who inspires direction in the practitioner so they can go on to discover greater teachers and professionals that will build on this fundamental foundation. Find the authorities and synthesize a wholehearted and holistic concept, perception and belief that will not drive your practices but rather inspire them to evolve, grow and prosper. My efforts are born of those who are more experienced and knowledgable than I. I hope you find that path! See the bibliography I provide for an initial list of experts, professionals and masters of the subjects.

Appearance and Presentation

Blog Article/Post Caveat (Read First Please: Click the Link)

It just dawned on me that in some of the modern karate practices the focus is directed on how the practitioner appears when performing as if the presentation is indicative of what is best about karate and other martial arts. It seems that even when the teacher and student work toward force and power they tend to make assumptions that force and power are also demonstrated through the presentation, performance and over all appearance in the eyes of the observer. 

Reality and principles tell me that this is just not true. What appears and is presented as force and power through a performance of this nature actually look, feel and appear powerful but are not - force and power look different, feel different and are often detected as something else other than what looks like, “Muscling it.” 

This is not to say that such renditions are not useful and effective but it must be understood that they are not the primary generators of force and power but merely what I term as, “Enhancers,” to the actual physiokinetics that truly are forceful and powerful in applications of karate and other martial arts. 

As an example when a practitioner is performing and presenting a kata with the appearance of force and power, actually strength and muscling action, is when they, “Set their stance,” then “Assume a particular posture toward a particular technique to be demonstrated like a strike with the fist,” then they use the waist twist and the dynamic tension of tightening all the requisite muscles at the end the strike” they assume that is power and force. It is a form of power and force but the actual energy is caught up in the body with the dynamic tension. It still hits well but it is not the kind of power and force that would arrive if one were to apply other aspects of movement in physiokinetics when striking. 

Setting the stance in such demonstrations has its purpose but once you set that stance forward movement of the body mass tends to stop and that is a huge drop in energy toward force and power. Granted there is this one instance where mass movement like the proverbial “Drop Step Punch” technique along with structure, balance, body and skeletal alignment, etc. when done correctly will culminate in that one instance when they all “Align so to speak like the planets in the Universe,” and achieve maximum force and power to a target. You see, it is that movement, structure, alignment, balance, centeredness, etc. that dissipates when you set a stance. 

Setting a stance is one of those lessons that when taught at the novice level when the instructor fails, forgets or just doesn’t know needs adjustment once a certain level of proficiency is reached so that stances fall away from a setting mind-set to a more fluid one where the stance or rather rooting of legs to the Earth are accomplished in just that very small “Instance” when all the physiokinetic sub-principles align properly to apply force and power appropriately in defense. 

This will seem inadequate as an explanation but this is one reason why such information and knowledge must be tempered and forged through hands on practice and training with a qualified and knowledgable Sensei who has a focus on student teaching model over the subject teaching model used more often in karate and other martial arts. 

Appearance and Presentation and Performance as often judged in kata competitions is great, wonderful, and the absolute greatest way to demonstrate sport karate and other martial arts but when it comes down to the essence of karate and other martial arts as to its combative aspects, not so much. 

Note: The reason this continues and is propagated the way it is comes from perceptions toward what feels like hard hits and kicks in sparring and competitions such as tournament kumite. Think of it this way, if the force and power is proper you will either be totally knocked off your game where you will stagger around while your brain and body try to understand things or you will be down, out and under attack unable to do anything, etc. We get hit, it hurts a lot, we even may lost our breath but in reality it is not real damage and it does not truly disable our bodies but our mind-set in such training and the training itself often causes us to stop, say to self that was hard and hurt, then our mind-state tells us we should stop, back up, reform and start again - sounds like tournament sport to me. 

The efforts of the current models of martial arts, etc. as seen in sports like MMA and UFC, etc. are much better in teaching and learning to actually apply force and power. It may or may not be what you need in self-defense situations but along with its exposure to adrenal stress-conditions will get you there a lot faster and better than this form of teaching and practicing that relies on presentation, appearances, and performance oriented thinking, viewing and perceptions. 

Bibliography (Click the link)

p.s. Now, admittedly, if the Sensei is teaching the distinctions and actually elevating the training and practice with goals I try to indicate in this article along with other principle based models then it serves a huge purpose and is great but often those distinctions and trainings tend to be lost or forgotten, etc. 


No comments: