Please take a look at Articles on self-defense/conflict/violence for introductions to the references found in the bibliography page.

Please take a look at my bibliography if you do not see a proper reference to a post.

Please take a look at my Notable Quotes

Hey, Attention on Deck!

Hey, NOTHING here is PERSONAL, get over it - Teach Me and I will Learn!


When you begin to feel like you are a tough guy, a warrior, a master of the martial arts or that you have lived a tough life, just take a moment and get some perspective with the following:


I've stopped knives that were coming to disembowel me

I've clawed for my gun while bullets ripped past me

I've dodged as someone tried to put an ax in my skull

I've fought screaming steel and left rubber on the road to avoid death

I've clawed broken glass out of my body after their opening attack failed

I've spit blood and body parts and broke strangle holds before gouging eyes

I've charged into fires, fought through blizzards and run from tornados

I've survived being hunted by gangs, killers and contract killers

The streets were my home, I hunted in the night and was hunted in turn


Please don't brag to me that you're a survivor because someone hit you. And don't tell me how 'tough' you are because of your training. As much as I've been through I know people who have survived much, much worse. - Marc MacYoung

WARNING, CAVEAT AND NOTE

The postings on this blog are my interpretation of readings, studies and experiences therefore errors and omissions are mine and mine alone. The content surrounding the extracts of books, see bibliography on this blog site, are also mine and mine alone therefore errors and omissions are also mine and mine alone and therefore why I highly recommended one read, study, research and fact find the material for clarity. My effort here is self-clarity toward a fuller understanding of the subject matter. See the bibliography for information on the books. Please make note that this article/post is my personal analysis of the subject and the information used was chosen or picked by me. It is not an analysis piece because it lacks complete and comprehensive research, it was not adequately and completely investigated and it is not balanced, i.e., it is my personal view without the views of others including subject experts, etc. Look at this as “Infotainment rather then expert research.” This is an opinion/editorial article/post meant to persuade the reader to think, decide and accept or reject my premise. It is an attempt to cause change or reinforce attitudes, beliefs and values as they apply to martial arts and/or self-defense. It is merely a commentary on the subject in the particular article presented.


Note: I will endevor to provide a bibliography and italicize any direct quotes from the materials I use for this blog. If there are mistakes, errors, and/or omissions, I take full responsibility for them as they are mine and mine alone. If you find any mistakes, errors, and/or omissions please comment and let me know along with the correct information and/or sources.



“What you are reading right now is a blog. It’s written and posted by me, because I want to. I get no financial remuneration for writing it. I don’t have to meet anyone’s criteria in order to post it. Not only I don’t have an employer or publisher, but I’m not even constrained by having to please an audience. If people won’t like it, they won’t read it, but I won’t lose anything by it. Provided I don’t break any laws (libel, incitement to violence, etc.), I can post whatever I want. This means that I can write openly and honestly, however controversial my opinions may be. It also means that I could write total bullshit; there is no quality control. I could be biased. I could be insane. I could be trolling. … not all sources are equivalent, and all sources have their pros and cons. These needs to be taken into account when evaluating information, and all information should be evaluated. - God’s Bastard, Sourcing Sources (this applies to this and other blogs by me as well; if you follow the idea's, advice or information you are on your own, don't come crying to me, it is all on you do do the work to make sure it works for you!)



“You should prepare yourself to dedicate at least five or six years to your training and practice to understand the philosophy and physiokinetics of martial arts and karate so that you can understand the true spirit of everything and dedicate your mind, body and spirit to the discipline of the art.” - cejames (note: you are on your own, make sure you get expert hands-on guidance in all things martial and self-defense)



“All I say is by way of discourse, and nothing by way of advice. I should not speak so boldly if it were my due to be believed.” - Montaigne


I am not a leading authority on any one discipline that I write about and teach, it is my hope and wish that with all the subjects I have studied it provides me an advantage point that I offer in as clear and cohesive writings as possible in introducing the matters in my materials. I hope to serve as one who inspires direction in the practitioner so they can go on to discover greater teachers and professionals that will build on this fundamental foundation. Find the authorities and synthesize a wholehearted and holistic concept, perception and belief that will not drive your practices but rather inspire them to evolve, grow and prosper. My efforts are born of those who are more experienced and knowledgable than I. I hope you find that path! See the bibliography I provide for an initial list of experts, professionals and masters of the subjects.

War of the Worlds


My internalization tends to take me to a lot of places. Some I like and some I don't care for but all of them have always been to some benefit to my life. I am not sure that my turning of eye inward results in a clear picture. After all, we are all subject to perceptions as that builds from the moment of birth through life encounters of father, mother, siblings and others as we come in contact with family, friends (old and new) and others. Each encounter results in some type of influence and the influence results in some change within each of us. How that change and those changes contribute to our character and personality is also dependent on our perceptions and changing perspective of life as we live it.

As an intervert/introvert I tend, as many interverts do, look inwards. My live is a result of that character trait, intervert and the inward perspective. Because I rely heavily on this aspect of my life I tend to war with my two worlds, one is a yang aspect and the other a yin aspect. My two worlds tend to fluctuate between one end of the spectrum to the other with an ultimate goal of finding and maintaining balance. 

I wonder sometimes when I feel balanced if it is a true balance or is it a false one contrived from some story I create from within to make life balanced, not comfortable but balanced. Maybe that constant feeling of being uncomfortable is actually normal and good but I ask myself, "how would I know?" This type of conflict of worlds made me think of several things this morning on the way to work.

First, I got to thinking about character and personality. Not the type of character as would come to mind when you think of stories, movies or television drama's, etc. The type of character with the mental and moral compass that is distinctive to that individual above all others for a unique nature, personality, temperment and disposition that makes a person either good or evil and lots of times a balance of both. Personality is that aspect within character that is often the outward facade that other persons encounter in society. Personality is that something that makes a person interesting and popular. Personality is a combination of the emotional, attitudinal, and behavioral response patterns of that individual. Both are required for a well balanced person and is often influenced by culture and belief systems for the group to which they belong - especially for survival. 

Often character and personality are adjusted when in a social situation to blend in with that social group. How far that adjustment is matters. Where I am heading is when character and personality become either separated or when one dominates the other to take the driver's seat of a person. It is this area when personality drives the persons life leaving their true character and personality in the closet. 

When you observe, as I have done this last five years, the goings on of life, say at work for this example, you can perceive the perspective of lost character over the glitz and glamour of personalities. This is going to be hard to explain. Let me try.

This thought process brought on the thought of modern martial arts and traditional or classical martial arts. Both have character and personality that makes them unique to the times in which they are practiced. 

Most modern martial arts are chocked full of personalty where uniforms are covered with bling, blitz and egoistic trappings, the promotion of expertise that is high level drama oriented coverings vs. substance and the trappings of what others perceive and think put a lot of surface personality leaving true substance or character out of the equation for the need and desire of instant gratification and excitement without pause over the importance of substance that makes character true and real. 

Traditional martial arts has character built on the substantial character that developed over long periods of time through diligent hard work consisting of blood, sweat and tears to create a character of traditional martial arts that builds the type of character directly connected to and relied up said character to exist. Traditional martial arts, supported by history, culture and beliefs that over time built a character and personality that leaves the trappings of glitz and glamour of window dressings laying by the road like road kill. 

I find today personality of the glamour movie influenced instant gratifications to hide from the hard work and trials and tribulations of real life to have taken control. Recently I have discovered that I lack a solid balance of character and personality where my character controls allowing only a smidgeon of character to come through. This may have been positive in my early days but today it is important to have a balance of character and personality to achieve good social cohesion, at work anyway.

What I am saying is I found through self-analysis or as some would say "after action analysis and report" that when I give the full characterized results of work to others they take homage. They seem to need the personality over the substance. They resent it when the character and personality makes them uncomfortable. Comfort seems to be the buzz word and the way of modern times resulting in anything other than the impressive personality is not desired.

I hear words from many such as "high level" thinking leaving the grunt work of details to flounder by themselves. They jump from one high level ideology thinking that it will make things work and fix the problems without taking into consideration that the context and character of the work matters where that is the rubber that meets the road. Maybe think of it as a tire without an tread - personality alone and then think of a good tire with the best tread and steel belted for road handling and control, etc. - character built personality that really grabs the road and makes the vehicle go fast, safe and reaches the destination with maximum fuel efficiency, timely travel and arrival with a vehicle loaded with product for delivery. 

Ayn Rand wrote a book called Atlas Shrugged. I difficult book to read and yet when first published in 1936 actually, seemingly at least, speaks to modern times. So much so it remains in publication with the latest edition reprinted August of 1999. It has even been made into a move, i.e. Atlas Shrugged Part I and II, so far (there should be a part III but popularity of the movie might mean it will not be made).

I war with the two worlds within me and feel that as an Intervert it takes away from the balance I should achieve with character and personality. Maybe my ranting is disjointed and unclear and yet it is such a difficult subject to see and understand. I see personality taking the extreme spectrum and wonder if Ms. Rand's predictions in fiction will take hold in reality of our current time and I see that possibly the age of personality will reach a cresendo and then suddenly fall flat on its face taking us spiraling down where character and personality may once again take hold first with a larger quantity of character to rebuild true and real personality back until we reach a balance of both. The true trick and the one thing that is life is finding balance and then even more difficult and the true strategy of life to "maintain balance" for prosperity and the future.

I also hope in the martial art community that we will shift back and away from the sole personality ego pride driven practice to a more balanced practice with the type of character and personality that will foster a future of traditional/modern martial arts.

No comments: