Please take a look at my bibliography if you do not see a proper reference to a post.

When you begin to feel like you are a tough guy, a warrior, a master of the martial arts or that you have lived a tough life, just take a moment and get some perspective with the following:


I've stopped knives that were coming to disembowel me

I've clawed for my gun while bullets ripped past me

I've dodged as someone tried to put an ax in my skull

I've fought screaming steel and left rubber on the road to avoid death

I've clawed broken glass out of my body after their opening attack failed

I've spit blood and body parts and broke strangle holds before gouging eyes

I've charged into fires, fought through blizzards and run from tornados

I've survived being hunted by gangs, killers and contract killers

The streets were my home, I hunted in the night and was hunted in turn


Please don't brag to me that you're a survivor because someone hit you. And don't tell me how 'tough' you are because of your training. As much as I've been through I know people who have survived much, much worse. - Marc MacYoung

WARNING, CAVEAT AND NOTE

The postings on this blog are my interpretation of readings, studies and experiences therefore errors and omissions are mine and mine alone. The content surrounding the extracts of books, see bibliography on this blog site, are also mine and mine alone therefore errors and omissions are also mine and mine alone and therefore why I highly recommended one read, study, research and fact find the material for clarity. My effort here is self-clarity toward a fuller understanding of the subject matter. See the bibliography for information on the books.


Note: I will endevor to provide a bibliography and italicize any direct quotes from the materials I use for this blog. If there are mistakes, errors, and/or omissions, I take full responsibility for them as they are mine and mine alone. If you find any mistakes, errors, and/or omissions please comment and let me know along with the correct information and/or sources.

Avoidance

Like “situational awareness,” avoidance is a lot more than merely avoiding a fight, an attack or the need for physical self-defense. Avoidance involves situational awareness and that subject, like avoidance and the whole of self-defense, is a lot more involved than one might think. I also doubt many SD models address this much like they fail to address the full spectrum of SD, situational awareness and avoidance, etc. I say this because I once taught a martial art as if it were self-defense, NOT. 

The same knowledge that the author, of the book below, provides so that one can truly begin to have and understand situational awareness also goes for avoidance (in my view anyway). You cannot have SA without the knowledge that allows you to be aware of what constitutes such things as so goes avoidance. How can you avoid danger, etc., unless you have the knowledge to “know what to avoid.” 

To avoid even a verbal conflict takes a lot more than knowing how to dump a person to the ground, restraining them to limit their ability to do damage and then either leave quickly or hold them in abeyance until authorities arrive to handle things. Recognizing what you say and what the other person is saying and how to handle those is also knowledge necessary for avoidance. 

Bibliography:

MacYoung, Marc. “In the Name of Self-Defense: What It Costs. When It’s Worth It.” Marc MacYoung. 2014.

No comments: